Our custom made lower extremity orthoses include AFOs (Ankle Foot Orthoses) and KAFOs (Knee Ankle Foot Orthoses). They are each made from a fiberglass cast of the leg. The cast is then filled with plaster to make a positive mold of the extremity. The orthosis is then fabricated with a specific design to meet the needs of the patient.
There are a variety of ankle styles including rigid ankle, articulated, flexible and energy storing.
Indications for an AFO include:
– drop foot due to Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Peroneal Nerve damage, Stroke, Cerebral Palsy (CP), Spina Bifida and Diabetic Neuropathy
– contractures at the ankle
– hypermobility of the ankle
– joint deformity
At the knee, the orthosis may be free motion or locked depending on the strength and condition of the individual.
Indications for a KAFO include:
– severe knee varus (bow legged), valgum (knock kneed) and hyperextension
– drop foot and knee weakness due to MS, stroke and post polio
Custom Fit and Prefabricated
We also supply prefabricated or custom fit AFOs for certain individuals who want a more lightweight alternative to a custom made style. These include the Walk On AFO, ToeOff AFO and Xtern AFO.
We have a selection of off-the-shelf ankle braces to be used for sports or after an injury. The two main types we fit are ASOs and Active Ankles depending on the requirements of the individual. We also stock Air Casts for acute fractures to the ankle/foot or for severe ankle sprains.